A 65-foot sloop nears completion on the banks of the Hudson River in Albany, New York, circa 1805
Albany, New York, has been the location of shipyards for nearly 400 years. Although never reaching the output or fame of the coastal yards of New England, vessels of great variety have been produced on the banks of the Hudson. Despite a total lack of public accessibility this enterprise continues to this day. The Simeon DeWitt map of 1797, indicates the location of a launchway and shipyard near the foot of Clinton Avenue. Records of that time mention the construction of numerous sloops and schooners on the Albany waterfront. This painting depicts that long forgotten shipyard and the construction of a nearly completed colonial schooner hull circa 1806.
Type: Giclée Edition ~ Signed and Numbered Prints
Image size: 12.5 x 21 inches