Mohawk warriors approach the ship of Arent Van Curler, 1650
This is the second in a series of paintings which depicts the bark of Arent Van Curler. The setting is the summer of 1650, looking southeast between Curler Island and Hill House Island, about 6 miles north of Fort Orange (Albany , New York). The Hudson River is in the background. Van Curler is approaching his farm, located on what today is referred to as Schuyler Flatts in the Town of Colonie (Menands , New York). At that time Van Curler was living on the eastern edge of Iroquois territory. There are two horses on deck that Van Curler purchased to add to his livestock. Mohawk warriors in elm bark canoes are making their way out to Van Curler’s ship to investigate his unusual cargo. “Magua” was the seventeenth century term used by the Dutch for the Mohawk people. Although the Mohawk were curious about horses neither they or any other tribe of the Iroquois nation were ever interested enough to actually trade for them.
Type: Giclée Edition ~ Signed and Numbered Prints
Image size: 15 x 23 inches